Your First Night Riding
Feb 7 2023
1. Bike Lights for Night Riding
2. Clothing for Bike Night Riding
2. Mid layer: A mid layer provides insulation and helps to keep you warm. A fleece or insulated jacket works well for this purpose.
3. Outer layer: A waterproof and breathable jacket is essential for a night mountain bike ride. Look for a jacket made of a waterproof and breathable material like Gore-Tex. We like a thin jacket that’s easy to stuff in a backpack to prevent overheating on climbs.
4. Pants: Wear pants that provide a good range of motion and have some level of water proofness. Or is it water proofability? You know what we mean. Some mountain biking specific pants have zippers around the ankles to allow for easy access to pulling up knee pads before the descent. Some people love fleece lined pants, but where we live the temperatures never get low enough to justify it.
5. Gloves: We like having a second pair of gloves if we’ll be doing a big climb to start our rides. Hands get sweaty, and wet gloves get cold.
6. Socks: If you’re riding in winter, we strongly recommend getting a pair of wool cycling specific socks that will keep your feet warm even if they do get wet.
3. Other Tips When Riding at Night
• Bring a cell phone with a fully charged battery, in case of emergency.
• Be aware of your surroundings. Keep an eye out for wildlife and be aware of any potential hazards on the trail.
• Do all your normal pre-ride checks on tires, chain, etc.